1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tanto, And Another Hunter

Discussion in 'Fixed Blades' started by snailgixxer, Jun 14, 2015.

  1. snailgixxer

    snailgixxer Golf season is here:)!!!!

    Likes Received:
    16
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Here is what Ive been up to lately, have a few more on the go, but these are just a final finishing away from being done. First time working with brass for bolster...not as shiny as I wanted, but thatll come with some more elbow grease. The other one (tanto) is my first kick at using two different types of wood and spacers.

    [​IMG]

    Tanto Hunter: cant remeber the wood types, i believe its zebra wood, and Rosewood soaked in boiled linseed oil, with mosaic pins and blue and white spacer material... Kydex sheath (coyote brown)
    [​IMG]

    Hunter, with Bocote soaked in Linseed oil and brass bolster with brass corby bolts and kydex fold over sheath (coyote brown)

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  2. Foster J

    Foster J Active Member

    Likes Received:
    87
    Trophy Points:
    28
    Nice looking knives.
     
  3. shadman

    shadman Member

    Likes Received:
    13
    Trophy Points:
    18
    very nice
     
  4. dancom

    dancom Dust Maker Best Shop Tool

    Likes Received:
    1,092
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Good work man! I like the tanto. Looks good with the different woods. Did you join all the pieces and then attach or attach in sections? I've tried both ways and found that putting everything together, epoxying and clamping produces nice tight joints. Then drill and attach as a single piece.

    For brass, try some Scotch-brit type pads, green then blue, followed by some metal polish like Mother's Alum and Mag Polish or Brasso. That should bring on a great shine.

    Dan
     
  5. snailgixxer

    snailgixxer Golf season is here:)!!!!

    Likes Received:
    16
    Trophy Points:
    18
    I attached in sections. Rosewood first, let it cure, then cleaned up the mating surface, clamped and tapped the hurt ends to match up, drilled my scales to match. Then I did the same thing with epoxy. Seems to be a solid adhesion. Slot of steps to use different woods. But it looks nice. Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a whirl!
    Cheers
     

Share This Page