Hey guys, Got far enough with this latest knife that I can put up some pictures. Just wanted to throw out a thanks to Roman for the detailed pics and tutorials on how he does things, I shamelessly stole as many ideas to make things easier on me as I could. That's one of the things I REALLY like about this forum. Everyone is very willing to help out the new guy. I have been involved with the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) for many years, it's a medieval recreation society covering mostly pre 1600's europe. My persona is that of a Viking from the 9th or 10th century. One of the many things I have wanted for a long time is more period gear. So I decided to make some! This is my first attempt at a hidden tang Puukko. The basic design of which has been in use since from what I have been able to find at least 1000 A.D. First things first. Need to draw up a design and cut out some steel. I am not the biggest fan of filing. First, I think I need better files. I did get the shoulders pretty squared up in the end. No gaps that I can see light through anyhow. The freehand grinding is coming along, This is where I was at before heat treating. Of course I did mess it up a bit afterwards but it's getting better every knife I do. And after heat treating, tempering and final grinding. The dreaded smiley returns. Also learned that getting a tang to fit well is much easier said than done. Not to mention my drill bits aren't long enough. So I decided to put a bit of Ebony in to make hole drilling easier. It's not a terribly period material. But contrasts the Maple nicely. Test fitting. I tried to keep it as snug as possible. Learned a few lessons on what not to do when cutting out a tang hole. Like this, gap is too wide at the base of the tang, it wasn't catching where I thought it was. Just in the corners because well, they were round before filing. Lots and lots of filing. But in the end I think it'll turn out ok. All glued up in the press. I inverted it since many of the examples I have seen let the knife dry tip down but it seemed to me that was just asking for epoxy seep on the blade at the shoulders. Cleaned it up and left it to dry. I should be able to get some shaping done tonight if all goes well. More pics to come!