1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Damascus Experiment (mostly Successful)

Discussion in 'Fixed Blades' started by Slannesh, Sep 26, 2017.

  1. Slannesh

    Slannesh Active Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    We tried making some Damascus a couple of months ago and it seemed to go ok until we went to fold it. Wouldn't stick. I kept it around to play with another time and finally got around to it recently.

    First thing, I cut the edges off and cleaned up one side to weld them back together. One half was a bit bigger than the other to I cut that off and ended up with these two bits:

    I figured after cutting it off I would try to play with this small bit to see if it was worth trying to salvage.

    Looks like the initial welds held. I tried to square it up a bit and round the corners off then twist it. This proved to be a bit more challenging with such a short piece as you'll see in a moment.
    I'm pretty sure I know what went wrong, the twists ended up being not quite tight enough and I think the bar was too rectangular so they didn't close all the way when I flattened it out. I decided to finish the knife anyhow just to see what I ended up with and this was the end result before sharpening.

    3 1/2" blade and 3" 14 layers of 1084 and 15n20 with Indian Rosewood scales and 1/8" brass pins.
    PeterP likes this.

Share This Page