1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black Slipjoint

Discussion in 'Folders' started by Mythtaken, Apr 21, 2011.

  1. Mythtaken

    Mythtaken Staff Member CKM Staff

    Likes Received:
    263
    Trophy Points:
    83
    This is a basic slipjoint that I made a while ago to replace the one I somehow managed to lose this winter.:crying:

    I wasn't going to post the pics because it didn't turn out as good as I'd planned, but since I haven't had time to get into the shop for quite a while, I decided to go ahead. Besides, you can sometimes learn more from other's errors than their successes.

    It's been in my pocket for a while now, so it's not quite as shiny as it once was. I thought it might be good to see one that's been in use.

    [​IMG]

    It's a simple, comfortable design. The blade and backspring are from 3/32" (2.5mm) O1. The liners are brass with soldered brass bolsters. The scales are black canvas micarta.

    [​IMG]

    There are a couple of places where my sanding isn't even side to side. It was very cold out at the time and my shop heater was giving me trouble, so I'll blame that on my cold fingers.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    The bigger issue is the backspring. I always pre-load them before heat treating but occasionally one will straighten out some through the process. When I did a test fit and it seemed to have sufficient pressure, so I ignored my instinct to redo the heat-treat. Once I got it pinned I realized it wasn't quite up to snuff. While it works fine, I like lots of snap in the blade when opening and closing.
     
    LeclairKnives likes this.

Share This Page